The Bromyard interlude lasted only a fortnight. Thereafter the bulk of the school travelled by coach to Leominster, also in Herefordshire, but about 36 first formers were accommodated at Lucton School, about five miles from the town. Leominster proved the longest stay, and when evacuation is remembered by former Monovians, it is to Leominster that their thoughts principally return. In early 1942, there were twelve masters in Leominster including the one at Lucton. The number of evacuees was variable, but it reached a maximum of just under 200. Lessons were held largely in the town's small Grammar School, three full days a week, and half days on Saturdays and two other days. Holidays usually prompted a mass return to Walthamstow, despite official disapproval. A new Headmaster, J F Elam, took office after Christmas 1941 to replace P. D. Goodall, who left suddenly. The reasons for his departure have never satisfactorily been made public. Mr. Emery, Second Master, took charge in the intervening period. The School seems to have acclimatised quickly to Leominster life. There were two distinct views of evacuation, those of the evacuee and those of the host. Monoux memories of Leominster are varied. There were undoubtedly difficulties; in teaching, in being away from parents and homes, and in billeting. From the point of view of the townspeople, the infusion of 200 boys meant inconvenience and a disruption to the normal run of things. The organisation, for instance, of evening activities was of mutual benefit, releasing the hosts to something like their former privacy, and the boys to the companionship of their friends. In the end, the Monoux Social Club functioned six nights a week. The Leominster view of the school is not recorded.
Lucton House; 1973
- << Prev