George Monoux (the Sir was a contemporary courtesy title) was born about 1465, probably the son of Richard Monoux, salter and merchant of London. But it was in Bristol that he first came to note - in 1490 as Bailiff, and in 1501 as Mayor.
It is not particularly strange to find Monoux migrating and re-migrating between London and Bristol - he was probably following trade contacts or relations. In 1503 he had returned to London and was living in Crooked Lane, off Cannon Street. In 1506 he was a Warden of the Drapers' Company, Master in 1506, 1516, 1520, 1526, 1532 and 1539. He was Sheriff of London in 1509, Mayor in 1514 and 1523 and was also elected to Parliament as a Burgess for the City in 1523. There is no doubt that he was exceedingly rich, for he owned land in at least ten counties, besides London.
For the endowment of the school, Monoux left to trustees on his death (which occurred on 9 February 1544) property off Fenchurch Street in the City, which was let at rents of about £50 per annum. All the school received from that was the master's ten marks, and two marks (26s. 8d.) for the clerk of the Parish, should he assist the master. Monoux appointed several friends and kinsfolk as his trustees. This, again, was rather open to dispute and the trustees, over the years, obviously took little heed of the needs of the foundation. This is hardly surprising, for their duty had been thrust upon them by accident, and in all probability they had no connection with the parish. As the years went by they had less and less connection with the founder or with his purposes.