Old Monovians Association; History of the School

Key Events

 
 
 
 
 
 

Key events of the modern school

1527

Founded  

1927

Present building opened by Lord Mayor of London

1939

School evacuated

1942

School returned to Walthamstow

1968

Movement to Comprehensive begins

1988

The co-educational 6th form college established.

 

Headmasters

Dates

Degrees & University

Robert   Watkins

c1838-49  

None

Henry   Griggs

1850-79  

None

Henry   Alfred Allpass

1886-1903  

B.A.(Lond.)

William   Francis Spivey

1903-   14

M.A.(T.C.D.)

George   Alfred Millward

1915-20  

M.A.(Cantab.)

James   Kirkman King

1920-5

M.A.(Cantab.)

Harold   Midgley

1925-31  

B.A.,   B.Sc.(Lond.)

Percy   Denis Goodall

1932-41  

B.A..   B.Sc.(Reading)

John   Frederick Elam

1942-7

M.A.(Leeds)

Vincent   Jackson Stirrup

1948-71  

M.Sc.(Liverpool)

Allan   Thomas Brockman

1971-   84

B.Sc.(Lond.).   F.R.S.A.

 

Monoux College Principals:

Mrs C.   H. M. Moffett B.A.

1986-93

A.. J.   Harvey M.Sc

1993-96

S. J.   Grix M.Sc

1996-2000

R. W.   Chambers M.Sc.

2000-05

Kim Clifford B.A. 

 2006-10

Paolo Ramella B.Sc. 

2010-current 

 

Dr   Chris Pond (Old Monovian & previous school captain) has authored the   following monograph detailing the history of our school/college. It is   published by The Walthamstow Historical Society.

 

Sir
 
George Monoux
 
School
 
&
 
College

Walthamstow
  1527-2002
  CC Pond

 
Copyright CC Pond and the WHS, 2002.

 

The following lists the chapters of the monograph   together with some of the key events described therein.

 

George Monoux & Foundation of the School
  1509 Sheriff of London
  1514,1523 Mayor of London
  15th June 1527 Land purchased for almshouses & school
  1544 Sir George Monoux died

Distant & Dishonest Trustees 1600-1781
  Period of neglect by the trustees.
  Series of inquisitions and commissions to consider the school's management
  1659 Commission decided upon Grammar School status.

Control by the Parish 1782-1819
  September 1872 Parish takes control of the school
  Endowment augmented to accommodate 30 boys & 20 girls
  1819 school for 100 boys & 100 girls erected

Decline & Refoundation 1820 1889
  1834 Forest School opened in competition with Monoux
  1870 Decided to convert Monoux to a "middle class school"
  c1879 School closed
  1886 School re-opened. Head Master Henry Allpass
  1889 New school building opened in High Street.
  1890 School song composed.

Financial Crisis & The County Takeover 1889-1927
  1913 General Inspection criticised the school's performance
  1914 School Board cease to recognise school as efficient
  Sept 1914 Foundation seek takeover by Essex County
  1915-16 House & Prefectoral systems introduced
  1916 County begins to take control of school
  1916 Plans prepared for Chingford Road site
  23 July 1916 Chingford Road site purchased
  1925 Schools Board issue a glowing report on the school
  June 1926 Building commenced. Cost £52,138
  October 1926 Name formalised as Sir George Monoux Grammar School

"A Building Worthy of the Foundation" 1927-1939
  20th July 1927 New school opened.
  1933 11+ entrance examination introduced
  1930's Parents association formed & Old Monovians involved with school   life.
  1935 Education Board questioned the lack of a 6th form tradition

Evacuation 1939-43
  2nd Sept 1939 School evacuated to Ampthill Bedfordshire
  12th Nov 1939 School moved to Colchester
  2nd June 1940 School moved yet again to Bromyard Herefordshire
  16th June 1940 School moved to Leominster Herefordshire

Post War Grammar School 1943-1968
  Easter 1943 Return to Walthamstow
  Headmaster JF Elam established the teaching philosophy of the school
  School Council introduced
  1948 VJ Stirrup became headmaster
  School gradually grew in academic stature

Comprehensive Education 1968-1988
  1965 VJ Stirrup & Phyllis Taylor (Walthamstow County High) express   concerns about effects on standards of comprehensive move
  Two tier comprehensive system adopted with entry to high school at 14+
  1968 The change begins
  1971 VJ Stirrup retired
  1974 The transition to comprehensive is complete

Sir George Monoux College
  1988 Last entry at 14+
  School begins conversion to co-educational 6th form college.
  2002 The school has become a fine college with a wide range of studies and   1500 students.

Text size