RENAISSENCE OF THE MONOUX SCHOOL.
The school was reorganised under a scheme of the Charity Commission in 1884. An increased endowment had been provided by the Vestry voting £130 a year to the school from the Inhabitants' Donation Trust, and by the Churchwardens and Overseers giving £50 a year from the surplus income of Wise's Gift, a fund left for the repair of a tomb. The new scheme provided that not less than twenty scholarships should be maintained in the school, and as the old school was found to be unsuitable for school purposes, the governors were empowered to hire premises pending the erection of new 'buildings. The school was reopened on the l4th January, 1886, in the Trinity Schoolroom, West Avenue, under the headmastership of Mr. H. A. Allpass, B.A., who subsequently took orders and became curate of St. John's. It may be as well to say that the great success of the school was almost entirely owing to the personality of the headmaster. The Rev. H. A. Allpass became a real social force in our parish, and the school was soon filled to its utmost capacity. The temporary premises were vacated in 1889, when the building in High Street was opened. The foundation stone of the new school was laid by Mr. J. F. H. Read, J.P., on July l3th, 1889, and the Lord Mayor and Sheriffs of London were at the opening ceremony on December l8th of the same year. This was a red-letter day in the history of the school, for in the evening the prizes were distributed at the Victoria Hall by Lady Leucha Warner, and the music was under the direction of Mr. J. F. H. Read, a musician and composer of considerable merit. The words of the Monoux School Song had been specially composed, and Mr. Read set them to music. Since that first opening of the new school, the annual winter prize-giving has been one of the events in the social life of Walthamstow, while the athletic sports in the summer have always attracted a large number of parents and friends.
In 1893 the scheme of 1884 was amended and the school placed under a separate body of governors, who were fifteen in number, and consisted of the churchwardens and overseers ex officio, seven representative governors, and four co-optative. By a scheme dated March 3rd, 1896, the number of representative and co-optative governors was altered to six and five respectively. The governors of the school showed much interest in their work, and it may be mentioned that a very large share of the success of the institution was due to the unfailing interest of Mr. W. E. Whittingham, and the clerk to the governors, Mr. W. Houghton. The chemical' laboratory and lecture room were the gift of the former in 1892, and Mr. Houghton and some other friends gave £1.00 for the fitting up of the room. In the school a brass tablet with a Latin inscription was placed, on February 5th, I897, to commemorate the benefactions of Mr. W. E. Whittingham, who died on September 7th, 1896. The initials in the four corners are those of the donors :-Messrs. David and Eliot Howard, W. Shurmur (Treasurer and Vice- Chairman), and the Rev. H. A. Allpass.
! The school continued its excellent work till' 1903 under the popular headmaster, who then left owing to ill health. He acted for some time as chaplain at Monte Video, and on returning to England he became Vicar of Stanway. This appointment he resigned after a few years, and then lived for a short time at Chingford, where he died in 1916, much to the regret of his many friends and old scholars.
"New" School. Print dated 1888